Old September 1st 08, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank

Old September 2nd 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom
Brian A Brian A is offline

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:18:04 +0100, brightside S9
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:45:03 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Can't help with the 2 digit number, but as late as 1968, K-Shoes
factory in Kendal was Kendal 3.

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
Old September 2nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Can't help with the 2 digit number, but as late as 1968, K-Shoes
factory in Kendal was Kendal 3.

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

I remember a late-series episode of `The Onedin Line'[0] in which an elderly
Elizabeth Frazer picked up some ancient item of brass and mahogany and said
`Liverpool 4'...

0] http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0074035/
--
SAm.
Old September 2nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom
Peter Able Peter Able is offline

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.

Check when Salcombe exchange was converted from manual. Morecambe used
two-digit numbers just into the early 1970's (e.g. Child & Longden:
Morecambe 26)

Old September 2nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom
steveybar[_3_] steveybar[_3_] is offline

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank

John,

Looking back through the telephone directories on http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
it seems that the first entry of E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in
1922 and had the number of Salcombe 16.

The last entry for E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in 1961 - still
with the number Salcombe 16

There were no more entries after this date.

I hope that helps - Steve

Old September 2nd 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:50 +0000, Brian A wrote:

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

Heh! There's a quote attributed to, I think the head honcho of IBM arount
the 1940s, that the world market for computers was about 5.

Old September 3rd 08, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom
Appin Appin is offline

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.
Old September 3rd 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:50 +0000, Brian A wrote:

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

Heh! There's a quote attributed to, I think the head honcho of IBM arount
the 1940s, that the world market for computers was about 5.

I've never understood all the qudos given to the person who invented
the first telephone. It's always seemed remarkably useless to me.
What I really want to know is who invented the second telephone - that
seems like a really smart idea.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old September 3rd 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan Nought'
but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that was a
special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the end of
the 1960's.