Telecoms Banter

Telecoms Banter (https://www.telecomsbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   UK Telecoms (https://www.telecomsbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2 digit telephone numbers (https://www.telecomsbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9927)

John Stumbles September 1st 08 11:45 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank

Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd September 2nd 08 06:31 AM

2 digit telephone numbers

In article ,
(John Stumbles) wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?
I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had
a phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date

Manual cord and plug telephone exchanges had number ranges starting with
low numbers. In Cirencester, telephone numbers were allocated numerically
around the market place, with the chemist next to the
church Cirencester 3, which was printed on their paper bags in the late
fifties. It became 1003 when the exchange was automated around 1961.

The villages around Cirencester had small automatic exchanges many years
before, with three digit numbers.

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ has the history of the telephone network.

Angus

Brian A September 2nd 08 10:04 AM

2 digit telephone numbers

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:18:04 +0100, brightside S9
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:45:03 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Can't help with the 2 digit number, but as late as 1968, K-Shoes
factory in Kendal was Kendal 3.

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

Sam Nelson September 2nd 08 11:23 AM

2 digit telephone numbers

wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Can't help with the 2 digit number, but as late as 1968, K-Shoes
factory in Kendal was Kendal 3.

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

I remember a late-series episode of `The Onedin Line'[0] in which an elderly
Elizabeth Frazer picked up some ancient item of brass and mahogany and said
`Liverpool 4'...

0] http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0074035/
--
SAm.

Peter Able September 2nd 08 03:18 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.

Check when Salcombe exchange was converted from manual. Morecambe used
two-digit numbers just into the early 1970's (e.g. Child & Longden:
Morecambe 26)

steveybar[_3_] September 2nd 08 06:05 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank

John,

Looking back through the telephone directories on http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
it seems that the first entry of E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in
1922 and had the number of Salcombe 16.

The last entry for E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in 1961 - still
with the number Salcombe 16

There were no more entries after this date.

I hope that helps - Steve

John Stumbles September 2nd 08 09:22 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:50 +0000, Brian A wrote:

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

Heh! There's a quote attributed to, I think the head honcho of IBM arount
the 1940s, that the world market for computers was about 5.

Appin September 3rd 08 12:15 AM

2 digit telephone numbers

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

Andrew Gabriel September 3rd 08 12:35 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:50 +0000, Brian A wrote:

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

Heh! There's a quote attributed to, I think the head honcho of IBM arount
the 1940s, that the world market for computers was about 5.

I've never understood all the qudos given to the person who invented
the first telephone. It's always seemed remarkably useless to me.
What I really want to know is who invented the second telephone - that
seems like a really smart idea.

--
Andrew Gabriel

PCPaul September 3rd 08 08:10 PM

2 digit telephone numbers

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan Nought'
but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that was a
special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the end of
the 1960's.