Old July 9th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom
naza naza is offline

Default Varying Attenuation

Just a problem that's started tonight. This is basically what
happened:

1) Connection drop out a weeks. Thought it was quite normal
2) Second drop out, coincidence possibly no change in speed.
3) Third Drop out with the drop outs become more frequent, this one
occur 4 mins after last sync.
4) Fourth Drop out, this one has a speed drop. from 2.7mbps to
500kbps, sudden jump in attenuation to 60.5 from 53db.
5) I re-sync it does not change very much. Phone is in use at this
time.
6) Connection just goes of, the router does not re-sync for at least
10mins
7) Router reconnects at normal speed and attenuation
8) I don't notice but slowly the router keeps dropping connection and
reduces to a speed of 400kbps. High number of ES.

All of this happens through a period of time with lots of phone calls.
My guess is micro-filters, although the phone does not seem to have
any extra noise on it. No test at test socket yet, just too much
hassle right now. What else could it be?

Also If it is the filters I am thinking filtered faceplate, but there
is a slight issue. The phone wiring was put in the house when it was
brought. It runs from the NTE5 to a junction box. The cable is 3 pair
but at the junction box side the reduce cable clutter, 3 of the cables
are cut so they are too short to be used at the junction box. The B
leg of the phone cable running from the NTE5 to the junction box
became broken and I used the ring wire to replace the the B leg,
leaving no ring wire from the NTE5. It works all fine, buts that's
because the filter was regenerating the signal.
So if I put in a faceplate and centralise it all, then would the
phones still ring.