Old July 8th 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom
Simon[_4_] Simon[_4_] is offline

Default Broadband works, phone line dead

Here's a strange one...
My phone line (service via OneTel) went completely dead yesterday. I
checked with two different phones - There is no sound at all when you
pick up the phone. When you try to ring the number, it appears to be
busy. This is after plugging a normal corded phone into the master
socket with no filtering. However, our broadband connection through
the same line is as good as ever. I phoned the OneTel support number,
they did a test and reported that they detected a fault 'inside the
property' and, if we logged a fault with them, they would arrange a BT
engineer to come at a charge of at least 120.
One of our friends is a BT engineer and he is going to pop round
tomorrow to take a look. In the meantime, does anyone have an idea
what the fault could be?

Also, does 120 sound high? I didn't think it would cost that much for
BT to put a new line into the house (the telegraph pole that our line
seems to be connected to is at the end of our drive).

Thanks

Simon

Old July 8th 08, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom
pugwash[_2_] pugwash[_2_] is offline

It's quite possible that one of the two wires to your property is
disconnected or broken.
This will take out your voice service but broadband can remain intact.
If it's dead at the master socket it's more likely to be a fault outside
your property in which case there should not be a charge.

Old July 8th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom
Graham. Graham. is offline

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

Undo the faceplate on the master socket and carefully remove it.
Plug a phone into the hidden socket that is now revelled.
Do you get a dial-tone? If not, make sure any BT who attends
is sees you have done this, and you make it clear that you understand that
the NTE5 is the demarcation point, and by removing the faceplate
you have disconnected anything that could be your responsibility.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 9th 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom
Green Telecom Green Telecom is offline

On 8 Jul, 17:37, Simon wrote:
[...]

It quite often happens during telephone line faults that the Broadband
stays working. In some cases our clients have had lines ceased and the
broadband keeps working. . . . . There should be no charge for your
telephone line to be repaired unless the fault is caused by your own
faulty equipment. Your BT engineer friend will confirm if this is the
case.
Old July 10th 08, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

In ,
Simon typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: Here's a strange one...
: My phone line (service via OneTel) went completely dead yesterday. I
: checked with two different phones - There is no sound at all when you
: pick up the phone. When you try to ring the number, it appears to be
: busy. This is after plugging a normal corded phone into the master
: socket with no filtering. However, our broadband connection through
: the same line is as good as ever. I phoned the OneTel support number,
: they did a test and reported that they detected a fault 'inside the
: property' and, if we logged a fault with them, they would arrange a BT
: engineer to come at a charge of at least 120.
: One of our friends is a BT engineer and he is going to pop round
: tomorrow to take a look. In the meantime, does anyone have an idea
: what the fault could be?

The same happened to us a few weeks ago on our BT line. Reported to 151
using the automated service. Received regular SMS updates on the progress
of the fault and also free incoming divert to the mobile.

It turned out to be a fault (unspecified) within the local BT exchange and
was fixed within 24 hours.

: Also, does 120 sound high? I didn't think it would cost that much for
: BT to put a new line into the house (the telegraph pole that our line
: seems to be connected to is at the end of our drive).

Yes, if it's a fault that's not anything to do with you or your equipment,
then it should be fixed FOC.

Ivor