Old July 5th 08, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default SMS from the computer

Like many people my age, I can't do typing on a mobile phone - a
typical text (which I send once in every 3 months or so) takes me about
half an hour to compose on my Nokia 7210 (on T-mobile PAYG).
Is there a cheap way of sending an SMS from the computer (mine runs
Linux) so that the recipient doesn't get one of those 'TheOldFellow has
sent you a text, pay £5 to read it' messages? I don't mind paying, say
£0.20 a throw though - it'd be worth it to be able to type it properly
without all those abrevs, U no.
R.

Old July 5th 08, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom
Klunk Klunk is offline

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:35:35 +0100, TheOldFellow passed an empty day by
writing:

Like many people my age, I can't do typing on a mobile phone - a typical
text (which I send once in every 3 months or so) takes me about half an
hour to compose on my Nokia 7210 (on T-mobile PAYG). Is there a cheap
way of sending an SMS from the computer (mine runs Linux) so that the
recipient doesn't get one of those 'TheOldFellow has sent you a text,
pay £5 to read it' messages? I don't mind paying, say £0.20 a throw
though - it'd be worth it to be able to type it properly without all
those abrevs, U no.
R.

Set yourself up a sipgate account. You don't have to make use of the
VOIP, but if you want to you can make and use the Gnome or KDE
softphones.

For texting, You can link your account to a mobile phone, sending your
texts from the PC just like they came from your phone. The 'reply'
function sends them back to your mobile.

The downside, they cost a little over 5p each.

--
begin oefixed_in_2005.exe
Old July 5th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom
Steve Terry[_2_] Steve Terry[_2_] is offline

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
Like many people my age, I can't do typing on a mobile phone - a
typical text (which I send once in every 3 months or so) takes me about
half an hour to compose on my Nokia 7210 (on T-mobile PAYG).
Is there a cheap way of sending an SMS from the computer (mine runs
Linux) so that the recipient doesn't get one of those 'TheOldFellow has
sent you a text, pay 5 to read it' messages? I don't mind paying, say
0.20 a throw though - it'd be worth it to be able to type it properly
without all those abrevs, U no.
R.

Get a free Orange sim from:
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/freesimcard

register it, and use it's phone number to register "Your account" at:
www.orange.co.uk

http://www.orange.co.uk/youraccount/...r_your_account

You'll get 30 free websms a month

Steve Terry

Old July 5th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

In ,
Steve Terry typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "TheOldFellow" wrote in message
: ...
: Like many people my age, I can't do typing on a mobile phone - a
: typical text (which I send once in every 3 months or so) takes me
: about half an hour to compose on my Nokia 7210 (on T-mobile PAYG).
: Is there a cheap way of sending an SMS from the computer (mine runs
: Linux) so that the recipient doesn't get one of those 'TheOldFellow
: has sent you a text, pay 5 to read it' messages? I don't mind
: paying, say 0.20 a throw though - it'd be worth it to be able to
: type it properly without all those abrevs, U no.
: R.
:
:
: Get a free Orange sim from:
: http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/freesimcard
:
: register it, and use it's phone number to register "Your account" at:
: www.orange.co.uk
:
:
http://www.orange.co.uk/youraccount/...r_your_account
:
: You'll get 30 free websms a month
:
: Steve Terry

Downside is they can't reply directly as the sending number is a
shortcode.

If you've got a Sipgate account you can send from that at 5.9p a pop and
it appears to come from whatever number you register with the site (you
have to have access to the phone as it sends you a code by SMS to enter,
so no fooling people by sending somebody else's number..!)

Ivor

Old July 5th 08, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom
John[_10_] John[_10_] is offline

TheOldFellow wrote:
Like many people my age, I can't do typing on a mobile phone - a
typical text (which I send once in every 3 months or so) takes me
about half an hour to compose on my Nokia 7210 (on T-mobile PAYG).
Is there a cheap way of sending an SMS from the computer (mine runs
Linux) so that the recipient doesn't get one of those 'TheOldFellow
has sent you a text, pay 5 to read it' messages? I don't mind
paying, say 0.20 a throw though - it'd be worth it to be able to
type it properly without all those abrevs, U no.
R.

Do what I do. I've got a Nokia 6136 and bought a data cable (about 10
locally or about 7 on Ebay - but then there's postage so it works out about
the same). It connects the phone to the computer by USB and comes with the
necessary software on CD. You can then type out your SMS message on your
computer's full size keyboard, click "Send" and off it goes from the phone
as normal - and do lots of other things with it as well, like synchronising
your email address book with the mobiles address book etc.,m etc.

Old July 5th 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom
Ivor Jones[_2_] Ivor Jones[_2_] is offline

In ,
John typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

I'd forgotten I'd got it installed, it's been a while since I used it, but
Logomanager will do this as well for my trusty 6310i's.

Ivor

Old July 6th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom

"John" wrote in message
TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

He did say cheaply, if you are going to pay the same as sent from the phone
then use Orange websms set to billing you account, instead of 30 free ones.

Steve Terry

Old July 6th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom
Klunk Klunk is offline

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:35:55 +0100, John passed an empty day by writing:

Do what I do. I've got a Nokia 6136 and bought a data cable (about 10
locally or about 7 on Ebay - but then there's postage so it works out
about the same). It connects the phone to the computer by USB and comes
with the necessary software on CD.

Did you see this bit:
TheOldFellow wrote:
mine runs Linux

--
begin oefixed_in_2005.exe
Old July 6th 08, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Klunk wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:35:55 +0100, John passed an empty day by writing:

Do what I do. I've got a Nokia 6136 and bought a data cable (about 10
locally or about 7 on Ebay - but then there's postage so it works out
about the same). It connects the phone to the computer by USB and comes
with the necessary software on CD.

Did you see this bit:
TheOldFellow wrote:
mine runs Linux

gnokii or similar software will do the same under Linux.

Theo
Old July 6th 08, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom

TheOldFellow wrote:
mine runs Linux

gnokii or similar software will do the same under Linux.
Theo

For windoze, free Nokia PC suite will also send MMS as well as SMS.
Backup the phones contents.Transfer pics, music, etc,
and synch, contacts, emails, etc.
..

Steve Terry