Old April 26th 08, 04:18 AM posted to uk.telecom
The orijinal The orijinal is offline

Default Why Can't I leave The phone Off-Hook Anymore?

I admit to living in the past, and being a bit of a technophobe, but time
was, when you wanted to shut out the outside world , you could prevent
access to your phone by leaving the phone off the hook.

These days, if you leave the phone off- hook, you get a "police siren"
wailing until you put it back. Just wondered why. Does it hurt anything in
the system if you leave the phone "engaged"? I can understand a brief
warning tone to alert that you have accidently left the phone off-hook, but
it seems that you no longer have control over your own phone.

It doesn't matter quite so much when you live in your own home,and can use
answer machines, in conjunction with caller display. However, years ago, I
lived in a hostel (bed-sits in a normal house) where there was a communal
payphone, and one of the the other residents had an abusive boyfriend (a
real nasty piece of work who knocked her about) who would ring the payphone
constantly when his girlfriend wouldn't answer her mobile. The other
residents, and I had our own phones, but we had the nuisance value of the
boyfriend ringing, and being unable to stop him by simply leaving the phone
off-hook. The phone happened to be directly outside my room, and in the end,
"I did violence to it". Ok Illegal -probably, but is there any way to stop
the "police siren" if I were to choose to leave my phone off-hook? Or can I
not choose anymore?

Jennie

Old April 26th 08, 06:28 AM posted to uk.telecom
BC BC is offline

The orijinal wrote:
The phone happened to be directly outside my room, and in the end,
"I did violence to it". Ok Illegal -probably, but is there any way to stop
the "police siren" if I were to choose to leave my phone off-hook? Or can I
not choose anymore?

Jennie

On some lines the siren will stop after a short period of time.
Old April 26th 08, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 04:18:33 UTC, "The orijinal"
wrote:

I admit to living in the past, and being a bit of a technophobe, but time
was, when you wanted to shut out the outside world , you could prevent
access to your phone by leaving the phone off the hook.

These days, if you leave the phone off- hook, you get a "police siren"
wailing until you put it back. Just wondered why. Does it hurt anything in
the system if you leave the phone "engaged"? I can understand a brief
warning tone to alert that you have accidently left the phone off-hook, but
it seems that you no longer have control over your own phone.

Unplug it from the wall socket.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old April 26th 08, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

The orijinal wrote:
[...]

Unplug it at the wall socket.

Peter Crosland

Old April 26th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom
Leveled Leveled is offline

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
The orijinal wrote:
[...]

Then you may lose any memory you have on it ,just switch the ringer off

Old April 26th 08, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom
Graham. Graham. is offline

news:[email protected]

The orijinal wrote:
[...]

But we are talking about System X "howler" aren't we?

High level sound from the *handset*

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old April 26th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom
GS GS is offline

"Graham." wrote in message

news:[email protected]

The orijinal wrote:
[...]

But if the phone's on-hook with the ringer turned off....

GS

Old April 26th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom
R. Mark Clayton R. Mark Clayton is offline

Er because you can just unplug it!

BT hasn't installed hard wired in phones for about twenty years, and AFAIK
nobody else has.

You can also order ICB and block incoming calls (this can be switched on and
off), fit a TAM or have 1571 to catch calls when the phone is unplugged.

news:[email protected]

Old April 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom

"GS" wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

Then you may lose any memory you have on it ,just switch the ringer off

But we are talking about System X "howler" aren't we?

High level sound from the *handset*

System X does it automatically. In the old days, if a number was
persistently engaged you could ask the operator to 'verify speech', and if
it was absent to initiate "howl round".

But if the phone's on-hook with the ringer turned off....

Tough, but it won't be engaged!

GS

Old April 26th 08, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Leveled wrote

Unplug it at the wall socket.

Then you may lose any memory you have on it ,just switch the ringer

off

I have never had a wired phone that had such a facility, only HI & LO.

Call Minder and set to answer after 0 rings perhaps.

But ISTR that at least two days unplugged was needed to lose memory
contents.

--
Mike D