Old March 7th 08, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom
Allan Gould Allan Gould is offline

Default Doctor's surgeries - Withheld numbers - ACR - Grrrrrr...

rant
Had to ring local doctor today (tetanus injection, if you must know).
They had to ring me back with an answer to the question.
The call came back from a mobile (I have ACR).
At the end of the call, the nice person said that I should tell the
receptionist that I have call barring, so that they know to ring me back
from a mobile.
I contend they should configure their outgoing calls correctly giving
'Unavailable' (which ACR would cope with) or (pigs might fly) a
presentation number.
/rant
Allan

Old March 7th 08, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Allan Gould wrote:

rant
Had to ring local doctor today (tetanus injection, if you must know).
They had to ring me back with an answer to the question.
The call came back from a mobile (I have ACR).
At the end of the call, the nice person said that I should tell the
receptionist that I have call barring, so that they know to ring me
back from a mobile.
I contend they should configure their outgoing calls correctly giving
'Unavailable' (which ACR would cope with) or (pigs might fly) a
presentation number.
/rant
Allan

If they're ringing from a published number, there's no real reason to
withold it at all. If they're ringing from a phone which is dedicated to
outgoing calls and whose number is not published, it would not be
unreasonable to use the normal published number as a presentation number.

If a doctor rings you from his/her home, it's perfectly reasonable for the
number to be witheld - and you have to live with the fact that you will not
be able to receive such calls when opting for ACR.

[As I was typing this, I received a call our local District Nurses' Centre -
whose number popped up, so obviously not witheld].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 7th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom
Dave P Dave P is offline

If they're ringing from a published number, there's no real reason to
withold it at all. If they're ringing from a phone which is dedicated to
outgoing calls and whose number is not published, it would not be
unreasonable to use the normal published number as a presentation number.

If a doctor rings you from his/her home, it's perfectly reasonable for the
number to be witheld - and you have to live with the fact that you will
not be able to receive such calls when opting for ACR.

[As I was typing this, I received a call our local District Nurses'
Centre - whose number popped up, so obviously not witheld].
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Doctors withheld their numbers for reasons of confidentiality. Another
household member may look and see the caller ID on the phone and recognise
it as a doctors surgery. By withholding the number doctors are not breaching
confidentiality with their patients and should be praised for it.

Dave

Old March 7th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom

Dave P wrote:

Doctors withheld their numbers for reasons of confidentiality. Another
household member may look and see the caller ID on the phone and
recognise it as a doctors surgery. By withholding the number doctors
are not breaching confidentiality with their patients and should be
praised for it.
Dave

Except for the fact that any other household member who might look at the
caller ID might just as easily answer the phone in the first place!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom
Dave P Dave P is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Dave P wrote:

Doctors withheld their numbers for reasons of confidentiality. Another
household member may look and see the caller ID on the phone and
recognise it as a doctors surgery. By withholding the number doctors
are not breaching confidentiality with their patients and should be
praised for it.
Dave

Except for the fact that any other household member who might look at the
caller ID might just as easily answer the phone in the first place!
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Do you think they say,
"This is the doctors surgery may I speak to XXXX?" Of course not.
Receptionists will simply ask for a person by name and will not engage in
any other conversation until they are satisfied they are talking to the
patient.

Dave

Old March 7th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom
J B[_2_] J B[_2_] is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
are not breaching confidentiality with their patients and should be
praised for it.
Dave

Except for the fact that any other household member who might look at the
caller ID might just as easily answer the phone in the first place!

Yes, but then the person from the doctor's won't say who they are will they.

Yesterday, Mrs B had a call from witheld asking for me - I wasn't here, so
she asked to take a message, but was told that the lady would ring back and
no hint of who or what it was about was given.

--
J B

PS - the spelchequer wants to put two w's in witheld, but the caller ID says
only one - who's wrong?

Old March 7th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom
jasee jasee is offline

Dave P wrote:

Doctors withheld their numbers for reasons of confidentiality.
Another household member may look and see the caller ID on the
phone and recognise it as a doctors surgery. By withholding the
number doctors are not breaching confidentiality with their
patients and should be praised for it.

There's a valid reason why my doctor might want to withhold his number:
because the only way to contact him is with an 0844 number which must net
him a tidy sum

Old March 7th 08, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom
Bill Bill is offline

In message , J B
writes
Yes, but then the person from the doctor's won't say who they are will they.

Yesterday, Mrs B had a call from witheld asking for me - I wasn't here,
so she asked to take a message, but was told that the lady would ring
back and no hint of who or what it was about was given.

Indeed, my STD clinic is the same.....

Old March 7th 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom
Dave P Dave P is offline

There's a valid reason why my doctor might want to withhold his number:
because the only way to contact him is with an 0844 number which must net
him a tidy sum

Its shocking isn't it.

Dave

Old March 7th 08, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom
jasee jasee is offline

Dave P wrote:
(nothing quoted here ;-( )

There's a valid reason why my doctor might want to withhold his
number: because the only way to contact him is with an 0844 number
which must net him a tidy sum

Its shocking isn't it.

Especially as the petition objecting to it of about some 25K petitioners
received no response last month. So much for democracy.