Old August 8th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom
BJH BJH is offline

Default Could this be correct?

Hi

Now this isn't a 'sob' story but I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

A very old friend of mine is suffering from a terminal illness so he
decided to cancel his Unicom telephone connection as he has no further
need for it. Incidentally, he never asked for Unicom they just took over
his telephone contract, he originally had one of those 'plug-in' Mercury
boxes.

Today he received a letter confirming his termination and expressing regret
of losing him as a customer.

He will be charged the final amount of 18 odd for outstanding calls PLUS a
termination fee of 604.00!!!

I jest not.

He is distraught, he lives on his own and is not in the best of health and
knows not how to proceed.

I suggested that in view of his condition he simply pays the 18 and tells
them to sue him for the rest, as time will tell.

Perhaps there could be a better (simpler) way to resolve this?

I cannot help him directly as Unicom will only speak with him directly, and
not anyone acting on his behalf.

Perhaps he should involve his Solicitor? Or Citizens Advice?

--
Regards
Barry

Old August 8th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom
JW JW is offline

BJH wrote:
[...]

That sum seems a lot for early termination. Some contracts
may charge for this, but it usually doesn't exceed the
remainder of an initial 12 months' rental. 600 would be
about 4 line-years. Even if he signed up for a long-term
contract (with rental discount), it still seems excessive.

Details of termination fees should be in his contract. This
could be the original one with Mercury (Cable & Wireless),
but more likely one issued when he was transferred (C&W have
been getting rid of small business users).

According to the web-site, the company has a dispute
resolution procedure, with reference to the ombudsman if
there is no resolution (Otelo).
Unicom Telecoms, Broadband and Website Design & Hosting
http://www.switchingon.com/telecoms/telecoms_faq.aspx
Old August 8th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom
Jono Jono is offline

on 08/08/2006, BJH supposed :
[...]

The majority of Unicom contracts I see are for three years.

Old August 8th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom
Aaron Borbora Aaron Borbora is offline

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

If he's that unwell, couldn't he just forget about it and he may, sadly, not
be around when it all comes up?
--
Regards
Barry

Old August 8th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom
Oral-B Oral-B is offline

If he's that unwell, couldn't he just forget about it and he may, sadly,
not be around when it all comes up?

What? So when he dies they can make a claim on the poor sods estate,
however, big or small that may be.

Would force majeure be effective in this cases?

Suggest you ask this question in uk.legal.

Old August 9th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom
BJH BJH is offline

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:12:39 +0100, JW wrote:

That sum seems a lot for early termination. Some contracts
may charge for this, but it usually doesn't exceed the
remainder of an initial 12 months' rental. 600 would be
about 4 line-years. Even if he signed up for a long-term
contract (with rental discount), it still seems excessive.

Details of termination fees should be in his contract. This
could be the original one with Mercury (Cable & Wireless),
but more likely one issued when he was transferred (C&W have
been getting rid of small business users).

According to the web-site, the company has a dispute
resolution procedure, with reference to the ombudsman if
there is no resolution (Otelo).
Unicom Telecoms, Broadband and Website Design & Hosting
http://www.switchingon.com/telecoms/telecoms_faq.aspx

Thanks for that, I've downloaded the documents for him, he's seeing his
solicitor today so maybe they'll be able to help him.

--
Regards
Barry
Old August 9th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andrew Crane Andrew Crane is offline

"BJH" wrote in message
[...]

What is the significance of his illness please? Other than the obvious, ie,
is he going to be around long enough for this to make any difference to him.
I can see no relevance especially since you started "this is not a sob
story".

Regards
Andrew

Old July 4th 13, 02:07 PM
Jiggers Jiggers is offline

The service from Unicom was useless. The connection would not recognise numbers when pressed at the request of automated reply systems like DVLA. There were sounds of exchange relays working while dialing. The broadband speed was often less than half what it was before, even though I was within sight of the exchange. The same 'up to 8Mbps' connection over a mile out of town was about 4-5 times the speed after going back to BT. After changing back to BT, Unicom wanted more, for the remainder of the contract time than I had been paying them for their useless service.
Old August 5th 13, 04:44 PM
Dr.Who Dr.Who is offline

Originally Posted by Jiggers View Post
The service from Unicom was useless. The connection would not recognise numbers when pressed at the request of automated reply systems like DVLA. There were sounds of exchange relays working while dialing. The broadband speed was often less than half what it was before, even though I was within sight of the exchange. The same 'up to 8Mbps' connection over a mile out of town was about 4-5 times the speed after going back to BT. After changing back to BT, Unicom wanted more, for the remainder of the contract time than I had been paying them for their useless service.
This whole affair reeks of sharp practice. The base line starting point is the original Mercury contract. This should be obtainable as it would be a sort of standard document for most Mercury customers of that era.

The following points come to mind

1. Unfair contracts and provisions. A small claims court Judge can strike out the contract, but was the original contract unfair??

2. If a 'new' contract was 'implied' by this Unicorn mob, unless signed, has no merit or legal standing.

3. Unfair practices can be referred to Ofcom or trading standards.

4. If the service is so bad (slow speed etc) it becomes not fit for purpose and the contract is breached by the other party (the supplier) and you owe nothing. You can then counter claim damages for breach of said contract.

5. Don't pay the money and let it all arrive at the small claims court and they can try to convince a Judge that the charges etc are due in accordance with contract law.

I hope this helps