Old September 22nd 03, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom
Jock Mackirdy Jock Mackirdy is offline

Default Highgate Wood experimental electronic exchange (1960s)

In article , Martin Cope wrote:
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

IIRC the first System X exchange went in Martlesham.

IIRC it was nearby at Woodbridge.

ISTR the same.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old September 22nd 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom
Mike Fletcher Mike Fletcher is offline

"Martin Cope" wrote in message

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

IIRC the original TXE4 design was the "rectory" one, installed in Brum'
somewhere.

Rectory exchange, on the edge of Rectory Park, behind a pub on Rectory

Road,
Sutton Coldfield.
I spent the first half of 1974 there during installation.

Martin Cope
ex STC New Southgate

Martin,

Here's a reminder of what it looks like from the outside, these days, no
doubt just the same although I'm sure the inside bears absolutely no
resemblance to 74.

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/exchanges.htm#Rectory

I understand Ian J. was also involved with the installation/commissioning of
Rectory.

Mike.

Old September 25th 03, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom
Martin Cope Martin Cope is offline

"Brian {Hamilton Kelly}" wrote in message
In article
"Martin Cope" writes:

It was already called System X when I joined STC's development team in

June
1976. Long before the spin merchants got into gear for Telecom '79 in
Geneva. In those early days X was very much an unknown variable ;-)

Although I'd heard rumours of System X before that time, in January 1976
I met some of the people from STC that were expected to implement it.
This was on No.8 Real-Time Systems Design course at RMCS Shrivenham; the
course consisted of four weeks in January 1976 and a further three in
July.

I recall the STC contingent on that course bitching about the fact that
"Post Office Coral" was not "proper Coral66"; in particular, that it
outlawed "anonymous referencing", which sort of spoilt a lot of the ethos
of Coral.

I don't recall your name from that course; mind you, I can't remember the
names of any of my fellow students. I do recall that the most senior STC
person drove a beautifully-preserved pre-war Rover. Ring any bells with
you?

I think that would be John Lewis.
I wasn't on the course as I wasn't a software engineer - I'd moved over from
the TXE4A development team where I'd led the hardware design of the MCU
(exchange call processor) to work on the common channel signalling
protocol - No.7 was not then a finalised standard.
I remember the POCoral vs Coral66 debates. There were hardly more than a
dozen or so people working on System X then (I think the development
contract had still to be agreed with the PO). Some of the software people
had previously worked on the PCM Tandem switching experiment. When the trial
at Moorgate exchange was over, the kit ended up at STC New Southgate in the
lab next door to the Sys X team. A year or so later it went to a scrap
dealer, but I've still got a few bits in the loft! 256-bit RAM chips
(1101's) were state of the art then ;-)

Martin Cope

Old September 25th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom

"Mike Fletcher" wrote in message
"Martin Cope" wrote in message

Rectory exchange, on the edge of Rectory Park, behind a pub on Rectory

Road,
Sutton Coldfield.
I spent the first half of 1974 there during installation.

Martin Cope
ex STC New Southgate

Martin,

Here's a reminder of what it looks like from the outside, these days, no
doubt just the same although I'm sure the inside bears absolutely no
resemblance to 74.

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/exchanges.htm#Rectory

I understand Ian J. was also involved with the installation/commissioning

of
Rectory.

Mike.

Thanks for pointing me to your very interesting website. Yes the outside
looks the same but a bit shabbier.
I don't recall Ian J., but I wasn't one of STC's Installation group, I was
from the 'system lab' i.e. design verification group. About half a dozen of
us were seconded to help Installation with the first one which was very much
a test bed for installation practices for both STC and PO.
IIRC the site opened for installation about Sept 73. I arrived Oct 73 and
left June 74 ('cos getting married in July) when a substantial amount of the
TXE4 was installed and working. Completion, modifications and final testing
meant it was 76 before it went into service. A trailer full of clockwork was
parked outside the exchange building to provide service until the TXE4 was
ready.

Martin

Old September 25th 03, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom
Jock Mackirdy Jock Mackirdy is offline

In article , Martin Cope wrote:

I wasn't on the course as I wasn't a software engineer - I'd moved over from
the TXE4A development team where I'd led the hardware design of the MCU
(exchange call processor) to work on the common channel signalling
protocol - No.7 was not then a finalised standard.

Of course one "feature" of TXE4(RD) was that although modular in terms of
functional units, it was virtually impossible to extend an exchange in the way
that the PO had been used to doing with Strowger. That was a hangover from
being tied to Treasury drip-feed funding. I remember going round the regions
with John Watts and Roy Appleyard, explaining the complex process needed to
extend a working exchange. The TXE4A development addressed some of the
problems.

One result was that System X RCUs were ordered as non-extensible discrete
lumps of switch.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old September 28th 03, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom
Rasman99 Rasman99 is offline

"Martin Cope" writes:

"Brian {Hamilton Kelly}" wrote in message

I don't recall your name from that course; mind you, I can't remember

the
names of any of my fellow students. I do recall that the most senior

STC
person drove a beautifully-preserved pre-war Rover. Ring any bells

with
you?

I think that would be John Lewis.

Hmm, that name doesn't ring any bells. (Well, actually it does: but only
because my step-father, who was still alive in those days, was himself
called John Lewis. So I feel that if this guy from STC had the same
name, I would also have remembered that fact.)

--
The said John Lewis didn't happen to be Scottish by any chance?