Old August 16th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom
R R is offline

Default Homecall, Caudwell Communications Harrasing tactics

Has anyone else been receiving harassing phonecalls from this bunch?

Everyday for about the last 3 weeks they keep phoning several times a day
trying to get me to signup with their service. Every time I tell them that
I'm not interested and please remove me from their database.

I'm signed up with the TPS which has worked great - but as Caudwell are
using overseas call centers which fall outside of the TPS scheme this is no
help.

The callers barely speak a word of English, but are able to confirm that
they are from Homecall and Caudwell.

I have phoned Caudwell's 0800 107 5526 sales line and asked them to stop
with the harrasment but the supervisors there have no knowledge of their
foreign call centers databases.

BT say there is little they can do as the call originates from abroad they
can't do anything. The op did say that what these companies tend to do is
concentrate on an area for 4-6 weeks typically. So maybe only a few more
weeks to go!

Anyone have any other ideas or contacts at Caudwell. All I want is for the
calls to stop!

If you are from Caudwell - then is wearing potential customers down until
they signup just to keep you from bothering them really a good way to be
operating your business?

Rant over now!

Cheers if you read this far - but it's driving me nuts.

Old August 16th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Just a few of points which probably don't help you directly.

1) If you are going for a service like HomeCall, prices are more competitive
with TalkTalk although I am unsure about line quality which has been very
good with HomeCall. If you want to annoy Caudwell, start comparing prices.

2) Bombarding your main line with calls is something that over time you'll
have to get used to. It is bloody annoying, especially when they use a
computer which constantly rings you and then you hear a voice recording.
Also note that some companies systems are quite sophisticated these days -
if they ring you and you don't answer, they will ring you constantly over
several weeks until you answer the phone. BT will not do anything about it
as this is how it makes money. Call Sign, Anonymous Call Rejection & Caller
Display are some of the services BT want you to purchase to get around these
problems. Not all of them work. Whilst Anonymous Call Rejection works
specifically on withheld numbers, they don't work on Unavailable numbers.
Caller Display doesn't really help you as knowing the number doesn't always
help - you still might need to answer the phone. Call Sign works and as
your second number has a different ring and is ex-directory, it is fairly
safe until you make the mistake of giving it to a company that then sells
this number on.

AMO

Old August 16th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom
Chris H. Chris H. is offline

R wrote:
Has anyone else been receiving harassing phonecalls from this bunch?

Everyday for about the last 3 weeks they keep phoning several times a
day trying to get me to signup with their service. Every time I tell
them that I'm not interested and please remove me from their database.

I'm signed up with the TPS which has worked great - but as Caudwell
are using overseas call centers which fall outside of the TPS scheme
this is no help.

The callers barely speak a word of English, but are able to confirm
that they are from Homecall and Caudwell.

I have phoned Caudwell's 0800 107 5526 sales line and asked them to
stop with the harrasment but the supervisors there have no knowledge
of their foreign call centers databases.

BT say there is little they can do as the call originates from abroad
they can't do anything.

Write to them* - with a cc to the TPS** - expressing your concern at their
marketing tactics. Remind them that regulation 21, paragraph 1 of the
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003***
stipulates that:

"A person shall neither use, NOR INSTIGATE THE USE OF [my capitals], a
public electronic communications service for the purposes of making
unsolicited calls for direct marketing purposes where - (a) the called line
is that of a subscriber who has previously notified the caller that such
calls should not for the time being be made on that line; or (b) the number
allocated to a subscriber in respect of the called line is one listed in the
register kept under regulation 26."

Which means that if Caudwell ('Homecall') have 'instigated' the calls, they
have breached the regulations; the location of the call centre used to make
the calls is completely irrelevant.

* Data Control Department, Caudwell Communications Ltd. Crewe Hall
Enterprise Park, Crewe, CW1 6UE.
** Lynn Freshwater, Telephone Preference Service (TPS), DMA House, 70
Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS; or Complaints - 020 7291 3323.
*** http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm

Old August 16th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom
Paul Paul is offline

Is this the (boss of) Phones-4-U Caudwell, I wonder?

--
Paul Clarke

---

Old August 16th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom
Chris H. Chris H. is offline

NoSpam wrote:
"R" wrote in message
Has anyone else been receiving harassing phonecalls from this bunch?
BT say there is little they can do as the call originates from
abroad they can't do anything.

2) Bombarding your main line with calls is something that over time
you'll have to get used to. ...
Call Sign, Anonymous Call Rejection & Caller Display are some
of the services BT want you to purchase to get around these problems.

You don't have to pay for Anonymous Call Rejection, surely?

Old August 17th 04, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom
Peter Corlett Peter Corlett is offline

NoSpam wrote:
[...]
1) If you are going for a service like HomeCall, prices are more
competitive with TalkTalk although I am unsure about line quality
which has been very good with HomeCall. If you want to annoy
Caudwell, start comparing prices.

Well, the main merit of HomeCall is that I got a free DECT phone for
signing up, but didn't have to return the phone when I cancelled the
service a week later before HomeCall was activated on my line.

I was vaguely toying with keeping HomeCall, except that the claimed
savings did not quite tally with the tariff guide I eventually got out
of them...

2) Bombarding your main line with calls is something that over time
you'll have to get used to.

Except that if you're on the TPS, it's *illegal* to call you. I don't
think one can condone just putting up with criminal acts. Unless
"being mugged in the street is something that over time you'll have to
get used to".

--
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once
inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their
Old August 17th 04, 04:43 AM posted to uk.telecom
poster poster is offline

On 17 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom, "Chris H." wrote:

You don't have to pay for Anonymous Call Rejection, surely?

BT increased the cost from 10 GBP/quarter to 12 GBP/quarter not long
ago. Choose To Refuse (which blocks up to 10 numbers withheld or not
(but not unavailable, of course)) is a bit cheaper, but not much.
Old August 17th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom
R R is offline

Which means that if Caudwell ('Homecall') have 'instigated' the calls,

they
have breached the regulations; the location of the call centre used to

make
the calls is completely irrelevant.

* Data Control Department, Caudwell Communications Ltd. Crewe Hall
Enterprise Park, Crewe, CW1 6UE.
** Lynn Freshwater, Telephone Preference Service (TPS), DMA House, 70
Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS; or Complaints - 020 7291 3323.
*** http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm

I think the main problem is that the foreign call centre is calling on
'behalf' of Homecall. So I guess they have probably found a legal loophole
by possibly simply giving a contract to a foreign call center company. It is
no longer technically a U.K. company then calling me so not covered by U.K.
legislation?

I just hope more companies don't start using this technique to bypass the
TPS - as so far I've been very pleased with the reduction in calls. I could
even put up with if they called only once - its the repetitivness of the
same call over and over again that is a nuisance.

Roly.

Old August 17th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom

In article ,
R wrote:
I think the main problem is that the foreign call centre is calling on
'behalf' of Homecall. So I guess they have probably found a legal loophole
by possibly simply giving a contract to a foreign call center company. It is
no longer technically a U.K. company then calling me so not covered by U.K.
legislation?

A UK company may not instigate calls which contravene the legislation.
Unless the overseas callcentre is making the calls of their own volition,
they are being "instigated" by means of a contract to supply calling
services.

Zane.

Old August 17th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom
Roly Roly is offline

Is this the (boss of) Phones-4-U Caudwell, I wonder?

--
Paul Clarke

I think it is. Which says it all really!

Interestingly not had a single call from them today - maybe they have
finally given up. I hope so anyway!

Roly.