Old June 26th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom
ddwyer ddwyer is offline

Default line held open for 12 minutes.

I have started to receive recorded advertisements which are still there
after the phone has been replaced for minutes.
BT nuisance calls department tell me that as these call originate from
outside the UK they cannot stop in less than 12 minutes.
This renders my busy phone unusable for periods of a maximum 12 minutes
many times a day.
\Are there others with this problem?

--
ddwyer

Old June 26th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom
Rev Adrian Kennard Rev Adrian Kennard is offline

ddwyer wrote:
I have started to receive recorded advertisements which are still there
after the phone has been replaced for minutes.
BT nuisance calls department tell me that as these call originate from
outside the UK they cannot stop in less than 12 minutes.
This renders my busy phone unusable for periods of a maximum 12 minutes
many times a day.
\Are there others with this problem?

Most incoming calls will not clear when you hang up - they only clear
when the caller hangs up or your line has been hung up for some time
(not sure if 12 minutes is correct). It is so you can put one phone
fown, go to another and pick it up. It is not something new. Phones have
worked like that practically forever. The problem is that the caller is
not hanging up. Why they don't hang up is odd.

Every time you pick the phone up to check, it starts the timer again.

One apparent trick (which I can't test here, only VoIP phones in the
house) is to press recall and get a dial tone, then hang up. It usually
calls you to indicate you have a call on hold. Don't answer. Then the
original call is cleared.

--
_ Rev. Adrian Kennard, Andrews & Arnold Ltd / AAISP
(_) _| _ . _ _ Broadband, fixed IPs, no min term http://adsl.ms/
Old June 26th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom
poster poster is offline

On 26 Jun 2004 11:54, Adrian Kennard wrote:

ddwyer wrote:
Are there others with this problem?

(not sure if 12 minutes is correct).

I thought it was 6 minutes but testing is a hit and miss afair, and I've
never needed to...

It is so you can put one phone down, go to another and pick it up.

Yes, must admit I tend to click the cordless on rather than put down and
walk and pick up, perhaps because I've had instances if someone calls on
a mobile where the call was lost (actually it was using a modem that was
on test, and offered voicemail as one of its functions as well as caller
ID - the modem never made it to market, however, but I still have it).

Why they don't hang up is odd.

pre-recorded advertising, giving some contact number for buyers to call?

One apparent trick is to press recall and get a dial tone, then hang up.
It usually calls you to indicate you have a call on hold. Don't answer.
Then the original call is cleared.

Good one. I remember a friend asking about how to clear calls from her
son made from his PAYG mobile (no idea why his calls stayed connected),
as his mobile had accidentally been triggered to dial her, and ate a
couple of pounds (she might have exacerbated the situation by picking
up again and again, resetting that timer)... was a few years ago so it
might have changed, I suppose, though I rather doubt it as it'd be in a
mobile network's interest to (a) keep the call from accidental clearing,
and of course (b) keep charging their customer for the call even if it
was accidental/unwanted. Peter M.
Old June 26th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom
ddwyer ddwyer is offline

In article [email protected]
reader01.plus.net, poster writes

ddwyer wrote:
[...]

To clarify BT say that UK sourced calls will clear down quite quickly
even if the other party keeps the line open , they cannot close the line
automatically in less the 12 minutes if the call originates outside the
UK and the caller keeps the line open.
--
ddwyer
Old June 26th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom
Simon Simon is offline

One apparent trick (which I can't test here, only VoIP phones in the
house) is to press recall and get a dial tone, then hang up. It usually
calls you to indicate you have a call on hold. Don't answer. Then the
original call is cleared.

This does work, ignore the ringing, (it will go away !), same thing
works if a mobile acidentally calls you from someones pocked, once you
get bored listening to someone's world from inside their pocket that
is !

Si

Old June 26th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom
Peter Peter is offline

"ddwyer" wrote in message
In article [email protected]
reader01.plus.net, poster writes

To clarify BT say that UK sourced calls will clear down quite quickly
even if the other party keeps the line open , they cannot close the line
automatically in less the 12 minutes if the call originates outside the
UK and the caller keeps the line open.
--
ddwyer

I don't believe the origin has any bearing on this. When you clear locally
the timer starts in your local exchange and will force release the call when
the timer expires, the C7 spec that I have (1999) states that this value can
be between 2s and 5 minutes, but IIRC is typically set for around 3 - 5
minutes but depends on operator and/or switch manufacturer. However any
reanswer resets the timer so resist the temptation to 'check' for at least
six minutes.

Peter

Old July 27th 04, 04:19 AM posted to uk.telecom
RayL RayL is offline

"ddwyer" wrote in message
| I have started to receive recorded advertisements which are still there
| after the phone has been replaced for minutes.
| BT nuisance calls department tell me that as these call originate from
| outside the UK they cannot stop in less than 12 minutes.
| This renders my busy phone unusable for periods of a maximum 12 minutes
| many times a day.
| \Are there others with this problem?
|
| --
| ddwyer

Go here. They solved a lot of my problems....
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

Ray.

---