Old May 21st 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom
lesshaste lesshaste is offline

Default Cost of 0871 numbers from talktalk

Hi,

I am sorry if this is a FAQ... I have a BT line but have switched my
calls to TalkTalk. Now I see that services like telestunt offer cheaper
international calls (and calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start
0871 etc. The prices quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really
understand if I will be paying that price or something much higher
charged by TalkTalk.

Does anyone know how this works?

Cheers,
Raphael
Old May 21st 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom
poster poster is offline

On 21 May 2004, lesshaste wrote:

I have a BT line but have switched my calls to TalkTalk. Now I see
that services like telestunt offer cheaper international calls (and
calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start 0871 etc. The prices
quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really understand if I will
be paying that price or something much higher charged by TalkTalk.

I looked at the TalkTalk web site, and downloaded the PDF of prices,
dated 01/04/04 but that had no entry for 0871. They show similar fees
for 0870 and 0845 as BT, but I can understand your query over cost of
calls to 0871. I haven't used many dial-through services so cannot
comment on the cost. I am a TalkTalk customer but dial 18866 for
low cost mobile and international calls (need to register for that).
Old May 21st 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andy Pandy Andy Pandy is offline

"lesshaste" wrote in message
Hi,

I am sorry if this is a FAQ... I have a BT line but have switched my
calls to TalkTalk. Now I see that services like telestunt offer cheaper
international calls (and calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start
0871 etc. The prices quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really
understand if I will be paying that price or something much higher
charged by TalkTalk.

Does anyone know how this works?

If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

--
Andy

Old May 21st 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom
David Marshall David Marshall is offline

In article ,
Andy Pandy wrote:
If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old May 21st 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom

"David Marshall" wrote in message
If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll

know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even

more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

--
Andy

Old May 21st 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom
Rev Adrian Kennard Rev Adrian Kennard is offline

Andy Pandy wrote:
"David Marshall" wrote in message

If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll

know

what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even

more

expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

What a useful guarantee! Not

--
_ Rev. Adrian Kennard, Andrews & Arnold Ltd / AAISP
(_) _| _ . _ _ Broadband, fixed IPs, no min term http://adsl.ms/
Old May 21st 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom

Andy Pandy wrote:
It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

You're right. That's very naughty IMO.

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old May 21st 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andy Pandy Andy Pandy is offline

"David Marshall" wrote in message
It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I

think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on

BT...

You're right. That's very naughty IMO.

In actual fact the only exclusions appear to be 0845, internet and premium
rate....so 0871/0870 should qualify as I don't think they are technically
"premium rate". I can't find the cost of these numbers on their web site though.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...ARTICLE=GUARAN
TEE

--
Andy

Old May 24th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom
Soruk Soruk is offline

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:06:34 +0000 (UTC), David Marshall
wrote:
In article ,
Andy Pandy wrote:
It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I
think the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are
cheaper on BT...

You're right. That's very naughty IMO.

Not to mention their complete inability to add up the sections on the
bill.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper -- www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper -- Uncovers Everything!
Old October 17th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom
Jonathan Sklan-Willis Jonathan Sklan-Willis is offline

There is no difference in price on 0871 numbers than those quoted from any
landline supplier, UNLESS, they surcharge, which TalkTalk don't do yet. They
are looking to do it, but they don't currently.

Use Call4224 www.call4224.com for dirt cheap rates to any destination in the
world. Later this month we are release IdentityCPS www.identitycps.com which
will have even cheaper rates to many destinations and discounts when using
Call4224.

"Andy Pandy" wrote in
message ...