Old March 25th 09, 02:32 PM
ljstronge ljstronge is offline

Default BT Master Socket Wiring Help

Hi All

This is my first post on this forum. I hope someone can help

I have recently moved into a new build and would like to set up my phone sockets.

The BT Master socket downstairs has been connected and is working fine. I have 2 slave sockets in other parts of the house and I have checked the wiring on these and the wiring looks fine.

I took the bottom user plate off the Master socket and there is no wiring to the slave connector.

So I wondered if anyone can help me do this.

This is the current set up. There are 2 MAIN Cables coming into the master box, both with an identical set of the coloured wires. One is cut and has not even been split yet, some none of these are in use. The other cable is set as follows

The blue cables (both of them) go off to the BT A & B connector, the rest are loose.
I have searched on the net and all the research I can gather suggests that I need to involve the blue wires to slave connection. The only wires I have left from the cable in use is the three pairs

(Solid Green & Green/White)
(Solid Orange & Orange/White)
(Solid Brown & Brown/White)
The blues are connected to the BT A & B

Obviously, I have the same again (including the blues) that have not even been separated yet.

Do I use all of the cables?

The 2 slaves sockets in the house have every cable used and there are 2 of each.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks a lot
Toby

Old March 25th 09, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom
David[_2_] David[_2_] is offline

"ljstronge" wrote in message

[...]

This should cover everything

http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

I have 2 wires only from my side of the Master to my slaves, pins 2 and 5.
( I believe having more connected might effect Broadband performance.)

From what I read of your post I fail to see how your slaves connect to the
Master.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old March 25th 09, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom
Don Don is offline

In ,
ljstronge typed:
[...]

It sounds to me as though the builder (who is responsible for installing
wiring beyond the master socket) has not connected up the extension sockets.
Before doing anything yourself, I'd get the builder involved under your
guarantee, and tell him to get his electrician to put right what he has
installed. Test that the sockets work before letting the electrician go.

--
Don

Old March 25th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom
Graham.[_3_] Graham.[_3_] is offline

"ljstronge" wrote in message

[...]

Don's advice about getting the electricians back would be ideal,
but if you need to DIY, then my guess is that uncut cable goes
to the extension sockets See which colours go to which pins
on the slave and connect the same colours to the faceplate.
initially just connect 2&5 that should be enough to get a dial-
tone on the slaves. You can connect pin 3 when you have proved
it's the right cable, but the remaining wired don't actually do anything.

Dont strip the wires, if you haven't got a punch-down tool, use a credit-
card to insert them.

One thing though, you said, quote:
"The 2 slaves sockets in the house have every cable used and there are 2
of each."
By which I think you meant every *wire* is used and there are two
*cables* in each box ie two wires in each terminal.

I can understand this in one slave box, where the cable loops through
to the second slave, but I would have expected the second slave
to have a single cable if it was on the end of the run.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 25th 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Graham. wrote:

One thing though, you said, quote:
"The 2 slaves sockets in the house have every cable used and there
are 2 of each."
By which I think you meant every *wire* is used and there are two
*cables* in each box ie two wires in each terminal.

I can understand this in one slave box, where the cable loops through
to the second slave, but I would have expected the second slave
to have a single cable if it was on the end of the run.

Perhaps there's another slave which the OP hasn't yet discovered?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old March 26th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom
Jim[_3_] Jim[_3_] is offline

Roger Mills wrote:
Graham. wrote:

One thing though, you said, quote:
"The 2 slaves sockets in the house have every cable used and there
are 2 of each."
By which I think you meant every *wire* is used and there are two
*cables* in each box ie two wires in each terminal.

I can understand this in one slave box, where the cable loops through
to the second slave, but I would have expected the second slave
to have a single cable if it was on the end of the run.

Perhaps there's another slave which the OP hasn't yet discovered?

It's common practice to wire up all 6 conductors, in
the same pattern as the secondaries, even though only
half are used.

Incidentally, it may for PC reasons, but I don't think
BT have ever used the term "slave" since they
introduced the facility for customer-provided wiring
(or, more likely, very soon afterwards). It's always
been "secondary".
Old September 16th 18, 11:31 AM
Jonathon Jonathon is offline

Originally Posted by David[_2_] View Post
"ljstronge" wrote in message

[...]

From what I read of your post I fail to see how your slaves connect to the
Master.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.
Coming into the house, Blue/white is pair one. pair two is orange white, pair three green/white, pair four brown/white, pair five grey/white. blue/white onto the A+B terminals on the master socket. your extention cable will be the same set up. so blue/white will go onto 2+5 on the "front plate". technically, as long as you have the same colour code wired both ends of your extention it doesn't really matter.

jonathon