Old September 30th 16, 10:17 AM
Bascule Bascule is offline

Default Wireless phone extentions?

Hi,

I've just joint the forum with the sole purpose of picking some brains!

I have had a lovely old black Bakelite phone knocking around the house for years. Back in the late eighties/early nineties we had it connected up, mainly for the ring: it was perfect - gentle but with enough presence to be heard throughout the house. It seems a softer ring than any other old phone I've heard - like the bells are made from something a little lighter and more delicate than other phones. I remember noting that the phone was not British. I think it was Portuguese, though I'd have to dig it out and check.

Anyway, basically, I'd like to try and get it back in service, just for the ring. I have the perfect spot for it but there is currently no socket nearby. If I take the phone to the wall socket in the hall and use an old filter/adapter to connect it up in place of the current Panasonic cordless, it works fine. So I could probably run an extension from there without too much trouble.

However, my question is whether or not there is a (admittedly slightly lazy) wireless option? I'm sure I've seen wireless phone extensions in the past, but my more recent googling hasn't come up with anything.

The one thing that I think might be an issue is the bell itself as I think that was a dedicated circuit on older phones but now, the electronic ring is handled differently - is that correct? In which case I guess the wireless extension, if such a thing exists, would have to also support the old bell circuit.

Any advice would be gratefully received...