Old September 3rd 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan Nought'
but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that was a
special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the end of
the 1960's.