Old September 3rd 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:04:50 +0000, Brian A wrote:

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

Heh! There's a quote attributed to, I think the head honcho of IBM arount
the 1940s, that the world market for computers was about 5.

I've never understood all the qudos given to the person who invented
the first telephone. It's always seemed remarkably useless to me.
What I really want to know is who invented the second telephone - that
seems like a really smart idea.

--
Andrew Gabriel