Old September 2nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom
steveybar[_3_] steveybar[_3_] is offline

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

--
John Stumbles

This sig intentionally left blank

John,

Looking back through the telephone directories on http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
it seems that the first entry of E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in
1922 and had the number of Salcombe 16.

The last entry for E Stumbles, 74 Fore Street, Salcombe was in 1961 - still
with the number Salcombe 16

There were no more entries after this date.

I hope that helps - Steve