Old September 2nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

In article ,
Brian A writes:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:18:04 +0100, brightside S9
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 23:45:03 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a phone
number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Can't help with the 2 digit number, but as late as 1968, K-Shoes
factory in Kendal was Kendal 3.

When you raised this matter I remembered watching, on TV, a speech
made by someone in the US in the infancy of telephones.Referring to
a telephone he said said 'I can foresee a time when there will be one
of these devices in every city'.

I remember a late-series episode of `The Onedin Line'[0] in which an elderly
Elizabeth Frazer picked up some ancient item of brass and mahogany and said
`Liverpool 4'...

0] http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0074035/
--
SAm.