Old September 2nd 08, 06:31 AM posted to uk.telecom
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd is offline

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

In article ,
(John Stumbles) wrote:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?
I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had
a phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date

Manual cord and plug telephone exchanges had number ranges starting with
low numbers. In Cirencester, telephone numbers were allocated numerically
around the market place, with the chemist next to the
church Cirencester 3, which was printed on their paper bags in the late
fifties. It became 1003 when the exchange was automated around 1961.

The villages around Cirencester had small automatic exchanges many years
before, with three digit numbers.

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ has the history of the telephone network.

Angus