Old September 25th 03, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom
Martin Cope Martin Cope is offline

Default Highgate Wood experimental electronic exchange (1960s)

"Mike Fletcher" wrote in message
"Martin Cope" wrote in message

Rectory exchange, on the edge of Rectory Park, behind a pub on Rectory

Road,
Sutton Coldfield.
I spent the first half of 1974 there during installation.

Martin Cope
ex STC New Southgate

Martin,

Here's a reminder of what it looks like from the outside, these days, no
doubt just the same although I'm sure the inside bears absolutely no
resemblance to 74.

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/exchanges.htm#Rectory

I understand Ian J. was also involved with the installation/commissioning

of
Rectory.

Mike.

Thanks for pointing me to your very interesting website. Yes the outside
looks the same but a bit shabbier.
I don't recall Ian J., but I wasn't one of STC's Installation group, I was
from the 'system lab' i.e. design verification group. About half a dozen of
us were seconded to help Installation with the first one which was very much
a test bed for installation practices for both STC and PO.
IIRC the site opened for installation about Sept 73. I arrived Oct 73 and
left June 74 ('cos getting married in July) when a substantial amount of the
TXE4 was installed and working. Completion, modifications and final testing
meant it was 76 before it went into service. A trailer full of clockwork was
parked outside the exchange building to provide service until the TXE4 was
ready.

Martin