Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : UK Telecoms Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sticky Thread Sticky: uk.telecom mini FAQ (weekly posting) by [email protected]
This is a weekly short posting giving brief details of where to find more information about the subject of uk.telecom: telecommunications in the UK. The FAQ for the group is available on the web at URL:http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/ It is also available via FTP in the four parts it was posted in...
April 19th 06 07:00 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 1,463
BT calling plan by Petert
Hi, my daughter is on what I believe to be a "BT answer 1571" account - free calls ate weekends Apparently she can benefit from making 19 chargeable calls per month - this would appear to reduce her monthly bill by £7.08. I've just spokem to a BT call centre and been told that these 10 chargeable calls may be made at weekends to 01, 02 or 03 numbers (which are FOC at weekends) and these will...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 25th 10 12:16 AM
by Mizter T Go to last post
15 1,793
Line test facility withdrawn by jasee
Apparently the line test facility is now only available to BT engineers because of 'abuse of the system'. Perhaps the Bristish Telecom FAQ should be updated to include this. It's rather annoying it was very useful as a quick test to see if your line was actually working correctly. -- Vista: the hd dvd player that thinks it's an operating system ©JC 2009 Windows 7: a faster dvd player
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 22nd 10 04:17 PM
by Russell Hafter News Go to last post
16 2,972
Sky and TalkTalk 'align' tariffs with BT by Martin Jay
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2010/05/talk-talk-and-sky-hike-home-phone-call-costs: ----- Begin Quote ----- Sky and Talk Talk will join BT next month in cutting the amount of time you have to make inclusive evening calls on a landline. The pair are moving their weekday 'daytime' bands from 6am-6pm to 7am-7pm on 1 June, with the remainder of the day classed as the 'evening'.
May 22nd 10 11:54 AM
by Andy Pandy Go to last post
2 2,499
Dialthrough services and Pipex by Chris
I pay BT for line rental and Pipex for calls. By examining my BT bill I can see that the 1280 escape code does not work. So that means that if I use a dialthrough service using an 0844 number it will be routed by Pipex. How much do Pipex charge? I cannot find any information on this.
May 22nd 10 10:40 AM
by Chris Go to last post
3 1,047
SMS to PSTN over ISDN? (Technical Q) by Tony Mountifield[_2_]
A while ago, having got a new landline phone that supports it, I registered for SMS service on my landline, and can now text between my landline and mobile. I believe the SMS is sent to/from the landline phone using FSK similar to that used for caller-ID. It got me wondering: if I send a text to an ISDN number (either BRI or PRI), would it be sent using Q.931 on the D-channel, or still in-band...
May 19th 10 11:02 AM
by Tony Mountifield[_2_] Go to last post
0 860
Unhappy
Cable & Wireless redundancies by exMercury
Just thought I'd let the world know that Cable & Wireless are carrying out 'roadshows' to inform its field engineers that they intend reducing headcount by approximately 20 percent.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 15th 10 05:01 PM
by john wright Go to last post
10 1,920
Could Changing Provider Cause Line Noise? by Phil[_2_]
I've just moved my land line from Sky Talk to Primus. Now I have no dial tone and a lot of noise on my line. My broadband has gone from syncing at 12Mb to 2Mb due to the noise. If I ring my land line it rings out but when answered there is just a load of noise in the line. I can't phone out. I've tried changing broadband filter, plugging into the master socket. All to no avail. Phoned Primus...
May 15th 10 03:22 AM
by Phil[_2_] Go to last post
7 1,105
1768 88 Mixed 4+5 and 4+6 by nrs22
There's been several prior discussions about 'odd' numbering ranges in the UK telephone numbering plan. Here's yet another one. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/numbers_administered/#geog1
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 12th 10 09:09 AM
by nrs22 Go to last post
13 1,500
UK code lists with errors. by nrs22
No wonder people get confused about area codes when junk like this gets published: http://www.ukareacodes.org/ There are hundreds of errors. It's a shame there aren't powers to take this offline.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 11th 10 06:31 PM
by alexd Go to last post
23 3,001
Another Skype on 3 glitch by divoch
When someone started a chat I got an indication of a new chat on my S2 but no name or chat appeared. Only when i went to check my Pc I could see who called and his message. I have done some quick test and it seems, that when I turn off Skype on PC it works OK, but if it is on at the same time it does not. divoch
May 11th 10 12:17 AM
by divoch Go to last post
2 1,177
ISDN faults by systemtek
Hi All I work for a large org, we have lots of ISDN lines which we connect routers to, we see errors on these lines at times, and get dropped calls etc. Is there any test equipment we could buy to test a line for such faults ? ISDN 2e and ISDN 30's. We log with BT but sometime it takes days and they see no errors when we do other times its so intermitant its difficult.
May 10th 10 10:58 PM
by Andy Burns[_7_] Go to last post
9 3,832
Vote tactical: Keep the thieving toraidhe out. by ian field[_2_]
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/05/04/general-election-tactical-voting-guide-how-you-can-save-britain-from-a-tory-nightmare-115875-22231573/
May 10th 10 01:07 PM
by john wright Go to last post
8 1,571
Vodafone Secure Remote Access - help? by Woody[_3_]
My employer supplied laptop has a Vodafone 3G dongle (Huawei) with it to allow me to remotely access the Co network. The Vodafone Secure Remote Access (VSRA) is a bit of a pain as, when installed, it takes over broadband, wi-fi, and mobile access. Once it has made Internet connection it triggers Cisco VPN client which, with Secure ID, sets up a VPN into the Co network. I've had the unit a...
May 6th 10 09:59 PM
by The Natural Philosopher[_2_] Go to last post
9 1,823
18185 - email notification of bills by Victor Delta[_2_]
"Victor Delta" wrote in message ... After 3-4 months of having no emails from 18185 (or 1899) when a bill is created - and only discovering payments after they have been made by my bank - I've received one today. Whether it's a one-off or shows something has been changed/fixed remains to be seen. However, has anyone...
May 6th 10 06:59 PM
by Bob Eager Go to last post
1 935
Does anyone know what happened to the Plessey SDX by Angus
I believe Siemens took took the company over but what became of the product? Is it now a Siemens product? Eg HiPath/Hicom? Would be interested to know. Angus
May 4th 10 12:57 PM
by Jim[_3_] Go to last post
2 1,453
Algeria by Michael Chare
My phone displays the CLID and I have learnt to ignore 'International' calls as they are usually boiler room scams. Today the phone showed the CLID as 00213 5371000 so I thought I would answer the phone. It turned out to be lady with a foreign accent who said she wanted to conduct some market research. I declined. A reverse number lookup shows that the call came from Algeria. Is this...
May 1st 10 02:11 AM
by Graham.[_2_] Go to last post
6 1,542
'Improved' Three network STILL Bad by CJB[_2_]
Am in a bar in Central London with my Three dongle in my Acer notebook. BUT I cannot even send emails - the connection keeps timing out, disconnecting / reconnecting, refusing to browse or to send input such as emails, etc. This is worse than when I started with Three before Xmas. Improved network? Rubbish (or words to that effect) ... CJB.
April 29th 10 11:48 PM
by Steve Terry[_2_] Go to last post
1 1,397
o2 cell area info codes by Chris Hills
Are there any other interesting cell area info codes on the o2 GSM network apart from 200 (local area codes)?
April 29th 10 12:02 PM
by Chris Hills Go to last post
0 535
How can I find out whether the 1280 escape code is still working? by Chris
How can I find out whether the 1280 escape code is still working? I'm paying Pipex for calls - and BT for line rental - and want to use a dial-through to make an overseas call. -- Chris
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 29th 10 09:01 AM
by Chris Go to last post
11 1,883
Virginmedia CLID delivery. by ian field[_2_]
It transpires that Virginmedia has chosen to use non-standard CLID presentation. VM's technical dept tell me I need to buy a "dual compatibility" phone but can't/wont tell me how to locate a product that meets this criteria. Can anyone offer any hints/ manufacturers web addr' etc so I can try to find a suitable product? TIA.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 24th 10 10:07 PM
by ian field[_2_] Go to last post
16 2,062