Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : UK Telecoms Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sticky Thread Sticky: uk.telecom mini FAQ (weekly posting) by [email protected]
This is a weekly short posting giving brief details of where to find more information about the subject of uk.telecom: telecommunications in the UK. The FAQ for the group is available on the web at URL:http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/ It is also available via FTP in the four parts it was posted in...
April 19th 06 07:00 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 1,463
Has 18185 disappeared, your help please! by Bea
I live in New Zealand - my elderly mother lives in London. Several months ago I set her up with 18185 the service for making cheap overseas calls. It's easy and doesn't require inputting a long access code. But today when she tries to call, she gets the message "this service is no longer available." The 18185 website is still up, but of course it's all automated so impossible to find out what's...
March 25th 14 10:42 AM
by Bea Go to last post
0 1,372
Help needed with STC SDX 40E by Taff
Is there anyone here who has any experience with wiring in one of these units please?
January 20th 14 03:16 PM
by Taff Go to last post
0 1,769
Highgate Wood experimental electronic exchange (1960s) by L Martin
Hi everyone, I'm looking for info on the Highgate Wood experimental telephone exchange project, which ran from the late 50's into the early 60's. I have a lot of the technical information already as I have a copy of "British Communications and Electronics" from December 1960. It includes an article on the Control System of the exchange, written by my grandfather Alfred Dargie Martin, who worked...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 19th 13 05:13 PM
by Stanton Go to last post
36 3,591
Smile
Good Experience by Bouncing Bob
Hi just a quick one, I had an issue with UNICOM who refused to release me from my agreement which they had rolled me over on, so they claim. I took a call at exactly the right time from a guy called BRETT at Clear Talk Telecom, he helped me through my debacle, gave me accurate advice on how i can work around my issues with Unicom, something to do with Material Detriment, he then assisted me with...
December 4th 13 10:18 AM
by Bouncing Bob Go to last post
0 1,690
Make money with International Premium Rate Numbers by kraig.mediatel
Over 30 destinations covering 200 countries Excellent rates and new Terminations Online real time statistics and CDR 24/7 Technical supports (Instant messenger MSN, Yahoo, Skype or E-mail) No setup fees Worldwide access Do you have access to CHEAP VOIP or SIMs? Can you generate traffic?
November 22nd 13 02:24 PM
by kraig.mediatel Go to last post
0 2,096
Question
Business seeks advice on integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers! by tellows
Hello all! I'm posting to ask for some technical advice on British routers for our company, tellows. Based in Germany, tellows provides an online platform in over 40 countries on which users can report their experiences with telephone numbers. This data is compiled and, via an algorithm, a trustworthiness rating (on a scale of 1-9) is generated for each number. Effectively, therefore, the...
November 21st 13 01:40 PM
by tellows Go to last post
0 1,600
BT Versatility Voicemail not clearing the line when caller hangs up. by Sean Connelly
Hello, Iíve recently installed a BT Versaitilty PABX with two PSTN lines & Voicemail at our business and it all seems ok except that I have a problem with one of the two PSTN lines. One of the settings Iíve had to change is to turn off the Guarded Clear setting on both lines. The problem is that both lines appear to work ok and you can make and receive calls fine. However on one line if an...
November 18th 13 12:12 PM
by Sean Connelly Go to last post
0 1,638
Advice re multiple extensions off a single line (and number) by jumboselfdrive
Hi, I am aware of a company who has 1 number with multiple extensions. Is able to hold 2 concurrent conversations AND send/ receive faxes and take PDQ payments but they do not have an ISDN line OR a telephone system. They pay about £10.00 per month in line rental and an additional £4.00 for the feature which allows the multiple "lines" on the same number. All calls are free and an additional...
October 4th 13 05:31 PM
by jumboselfdrive Go to last post
0 1,468
Becoming a Reseller by petercushion
Apologies if I've started a thread thats alrerady been posted elsewhere, I have searched but I can't find a post similar. Im also new to the forum, so Hello! :) I currently work for a Telecoms provider and I am thinking about starting up my own company, probably as a reseller for somebody else and grow my own company along side it, with a view to going solo in a year or two. I currently...
September 3rd 13 06:28 PM
by petercushion Go to last post
0 1,732
Telecommunications Lines - Earthing by Currie, R
Hello All, As I am sure most persons present are aware, BT direct exchange lines have the 'A' wire of the pair earthed at the exchange, giving the old A Earth = 0V B Earth = -48V What I was wondering is whether the earthing of one side of the pair is essential in modern telecommunications, and whether anyone is aware of any
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 5th 13 09:06 PM
by Dr.Who Go to last post
29 3,446
Question About The 'Howler' Off The Hook Alarm by Maxie19699
Hi everyone, I'm new here and know nothing about telecoms but really need to know a couple of things for a book I'm working on. Firstly; when was the howler alarm first introduced by BT and was it around in 1985, also how long before it kicked in and would the tone change from engaged to something else if the number was called? Secondly, when a phone was off the hook (back in the 1980's and...
August 5th 13 08:15 PM
by Maxie19699 Go to last post
3 5,103
BT "Klaxet" Klaxon sounder by David Skinner
Hi folks, I've come into posession of a 240v Klaxon "Klaxet" sounder, but it appears to be a customised version for BT. I don't suppose anyone is able to tell me the correct way to wire it up? Photo of the connectors here... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/drskinner/klax002.jpg Photo of the identification plate here...
August 5th 13 06:56 PM
by Dr.Who Go to last post
9 2,179
Unhappy
Auxiliary Line Wiring by stoat
Hi I've got two lines coming in which operate on a same number, so if the first line is engaged the remaining phones still ring, I think this is called "Auxillary Working"? Unfortunately I had to relocate the box and despite recording how it was all originally wired up, the second line feature now no longer working. Does anyone have a wiring diagam or description of how auxillary lines should...
August 5th 13 06:35 PM
by Dr.Who Go to last post
1 2,904
Talking
Confused by BT Inspiration Systemphone behaviour by daneboomerang
I know from BT's own FAQ post (http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16131/~/where-can-i-get-a-telephone-extension-cable-for-the-bt-inspiration%3F) that they advise the systemphone is connected to an extension socket and not an extension lead. They advise the reason for this is because the featurephone is terminated in a 6 core cable/plug. From my own experience I have found...
August 5th 13 05:38 PM
by Dr.Who Go to last post
1 2,750
Could this be correct? by BJH
Hi Now this isn't a 'sob' story but I couldn't believe it when I heard it. A very old friend of mine is suffering from a terminal illness so he decided to cancel his Unicom telephone connection as he has no further need for it. Incidentally, he never asked for Unicom they just took over his telephone contract, he originally had one of those 'plug-in' Mercury boxes.
August 5th 13 04:44 PM
by Dr.Who Go to last post
8 1,149
BT not passing incoming international Caller ID as it's not "trusted":out-dated by Allan Gould
Given that it's reasonably easy to spoof outgoing CLID on domestic calls (UK to UK) - which BT seem happy to pass right along, why on earth is BT still apparently hanging on to the notion of not passing incoming international callerid to the UK recipient because it can't "trust" the source (mobile telcos apparently don't have this hang-up). Isn't it BT got over this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 18th 13 12:30 PM
by Felim_Doyle Go to last post
21 3,104
Telecoms - fair price for calls by redballoon
Hi, I have recently stumbled into selling telecoms to existing customers and have a client setup. My question is, what is a reasonable tariff for my client to pay for their local/ national and then mobile calls. Just interested in some feedback. I have an idea of what i will charge, just curious what people think is a good deal. I dont need to make too much out of this as i have other business...
February 12th 13 02:31 PM
by Lee Carter Go to last post
1 1,578
Thumbs down
BT Revelation Phone system by DEBTOBS17
Hello I was wondering if you can help? We have a BT Revelation phone and we also have an extension off that so when the call comes in it should ring upstairs and downstairs, since buying a new phone for downstairs the phone downstairs does not ring but upstairs one does. any solutions
February 12th 13 02:28 PM
by Lee Carter Go to last post
1 1,819
phone line to RS232 (com port) or USB by sitewizard
Hi, I'm trying to find a "little black box" that will connect to my PC with a USB or RS232 connector and allow me to find out of the phone is "off the hook". If anyone has seen a box (or circuit diagram) to allow this (perhaps it would be as simple as enabling the CTS or DTR pins on com port) - then I'd LOVE to hear from you! I'm trying to record calls - but relying on the noise level coming...
February 8th 13 12:22 PM
by sitewizard Go to last post
0 1,823
Contacting the Emergency Services by Lyle Brotherton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU&feature=player_embedded Three years ago I posted on this Forum, asking for help in my research, regarding contacting the emergency services from a mobile phone and the help that I received from this Forums members set me on a path that I would never have envisaged, dealing directly with the Home Office, visiting the Operator Assistance Centres and...
February 7th 13 01:14 PM
by Lyle Brotherton Go to last post
0 5,313
Post New Thread