Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : UK Telecoms Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sticky Thread Sticky: uk.telecom mini FAQ (weekly posting) by [email protected]
This is a weekly short posting giving brief details of where to find more information about the subject of uk.telecom: telecommunications in the UK. The FAQ for the group is available on the web at URL:http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/ It is also available via FTP in the four parts it was posted in...
April 19th 06 07:00 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 1,457
Help with Telephone provider? by Fred[_5_]
Is there any way of finding out who the telephone provider is for an address? Is there such a directory? Despite there being a line at the address, BT have told me they have no records of a line there and are saying it must have been provided by someone else.
March 12th 10 08:15 PM
by Sheila[_3_] Go to last post
7 638
A number key not working on a Philips Onis Vox TD6611 telephone by Chris
I have an old Philips Onis Vox TD6611 telephone, which I want to give to a friend whose phone is sick. I have just tested my Philips Onis Vox TD6611 telephone and one of the number keys doesn't work. When keys 2 through 0 are pressed their corresponding numbers appear on the LCD screen - but when the "1" key is pressed nothing happens. The key will press down, but there is no beep and...
March 12th 10 11:47 AM
by BC Go to last post
1 420
Is the number up for the phone book (Telegraph, Sat 27 Feb 2010) by Allan
Web title: Cancel phone books to tackle climate change say councils Print title: Is the number up for the phone book Households are being asked to opt out of receiving their annual phone book to stop thousands of tonnes of paper being dumped in landfill every year. Unwanted phone books left on doorsteps or dumped in the bin cost councils more than £7 million every year to clear up. The Local...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 8th 10 06:24 PM
by George Weston[_2_] Go to last post
28 1,907
Changed number, is MAC still needed for Broadband. by Brian A
Background (BT line rental): A friend had broadband on phone number 'x', at his father's house. When his father died the executors (very thoughtfully - NOT!) cut off his phone service so he just got a dial tone and the b roadband didn't work. Now he's got the phone back on, after a break of over a month, but with a different number 'y' but the broadband is not operative. Questions: My friend...
March 6th 10 01:59 PM
by Graham Murray Go to last post
5 673
Telecom Operator (Industry) Rates - Costs and Termination Rates - 0844x fixed rate per call and IDA/CPS services or ranges by News Reader
Hi, Query regarding telco (operators - industry) rates. Sorry of the title is unclear. Specifically I am trying to get an idea of approximate tariff structure rates for operators, in this instance specifically for 0844x range numbers that charge end users only a fixed charge per call... e.g. 5 pence per call.
March 3rd 10 06:32 PM
by News Reader Go to last post
2 601
BT view recent calls. by Geo[_2_]
Normally I get an email from BT saying my bill is ready to view and can see it on line before the paper bill arrives. I could also see recent calls at any time up to the previous midnight. This week I have been unable to do either. Did I miss some announcement from BT withdrawing the View my Bill and View Recent Calls features unless you don't have paper bills? They have not replied to my...
March 3rd 10 02:49 PM
by Dave Saville[_2_] Go to last post
8 657
Drop wire query by Dave Saville[_2_]
Last Thursday evening my broadband started dropping the connection. It got worse and worse. By Saturday I was seeing 100's of drops in a few hours. I ran all the usual isolation & substitution tests to no avail. Except that it gradually got better until after first thing Sunday it has been back to its normal near perfect ways. The odd thing was that during all that time the connection...
March 1st 10 02:20 PM
by Gaius Go to last post
1 422
18185: does a subscription have to have at least one landline number? by The Revd
It seems they have removed the email option from "contact us".
March 1st 10 12:00 PM
by andy Go to last post
3 404
Poles and lines by [email protected]
I live in an area served by both BT and VM. The VM system is entirely underground, including the connections to houses. BT, however, insist on connecting houses by unsightly overhead lines to telegraph poles, even though the wires run underground to the exchange. Why doesn't BT connect houses the same way as VM ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 28th 10 09:01 PM
by Denis McMahon[_3_] Go to last post
34 2,325
BT Privacy - signing up by Bob Eager
I wanted to sign up to BT Privacy - I know all the details about what you have to do to keep it free. I can't find a page to sign up! Lots of pages that seem to lead in circles (rather like BT's IVR menus!). Are they trying to discourage people? So I called the 0800 number they give for 24 hour signup.. From the actual phone - a tri-tone. From another phone - engaged signal.
February 28th 10 04:49 PM
by Bob Eager Go to last post
4 558
Talk Talk and BT Call Sign by [email protected]
I placed an order with TalkTalk a couple of weeks ago to transfer my broadband and voice line. For ten years at four different addresses I have been with BT for the voice line and using their Call Sign service. The Talk Talk rep who sold me their package assured me Call Sign would be transferred from BT. I made several phone calls later to “Customer Services” (HA HA!) to confirm this and I got...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 10 05:57 PM
by James Martin Go to last post
11 1,586
Call Sign and Talk Talk by [email protected]
Apologies if this is double posted, the original seems to have vanished: I placed an order with TalkTalk a couple of weeks ago to transfer my broadband and voice line. For ten years at four different addresses I have been with BT for the voice line and using their Call Sign service. The Talk Talk rep who sold me their package assured me Call Sign would be transferred from BT. I made several phone...
February 27th 10 05:11 PM
by Graham.[_2_] Go to last post
2 530
Trying to go for Unlimited Anytime with auxilary line by jasee
They don't understand, I've actually got three lines, but have only two numbers, one number (a) has two physical lines on it (the other one (b) is totally independent). I'm trying to get anytime on (a) I've explained, after I ask for Unlimited Anytime on (a) but on the auxilary working line, they say what number is that, so I say (a) they then say you've already asked for it on that. Ok, so...
February 26th 10 07:33 PM
by jasee Go to last post
2 475
Emergency Services telephone database by Jeff Layman[_2_]
A relative just received a mailing from the Environment Agency to the effect that their property may be at risk of flooding. The mailing adds that to give them advanced warning "When a flood warning is issued in your area, we intend to send a recorded message to your telephone number". It's how the EA gets the number which is of interest. See here under the heading "How did you get my...
February 26th 10 09:45 AM
by Gordon Henderson Go to last post
6 821
Can NHS Direct see my phone number? by Jonno
If I call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 from my landline then can they see my phone number?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 26th 10 04:03 AM
by Denis McMahon[_3_] Go to last post
23 1,403
Recommendation for recording all phone calls to PC please by Chris Melluish
I am currently in dispute with an insurance company over what they promised me over the phone three months ago. They said they would listen to their recording of the phone conversation, and I thought how useful it would be if I could do the same. I can't help feeling that when they discover I was right they will lose the recording, and certainly not make it available to me. This is for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 26th 10 03:48 AM
by Denis McMahon[_3_] Go to last post
11 1,149
Little note from BT: they're changing a few things: Evenings nowbegin at 7pm by Allan
BT are doig their little changes thing (copy/paste below). A few pesky tweaks, one of which is that evenings (from 1 April) will being at 7pm (not 6pm) so if you want free/inclusive evening minutes, you have to wait until 7pm. ===================
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 25th 10 10:10 PM
by alexd Go to last post
31 1,926
Mysterious 1471 Call Return Charges by Jeremy Porteous
On my latest BT bill, a number of charges for 1471 Call Return have appeared (12p inc VAT each). I do not use this service as it is chargeable. I contacted BT to ask why the charges have appeared and they said I must have used it. I then asked them what calls were made using 1471-3 and was told that they would be separately itemised on the bill. However for each use of 1471-3 listed, there...
February 24th 10 10:11 PM
by Jono Go to last post
2 1,207
uSwitch Won't Let Me Move From Sky Talk by Philip Earnshaw
I'm currently with Sky Talk and saw that the Primus Saver rental (via uSwitch only) is £9.15 month. The only problem is when I put my number into uSwitch and my provider as sky it says : In order to switch your home phone service to Primus Saver, you need an active BT phone line. Please contact BT directly on 0800 028 4474 and get your phone line reconnected or installed. There may be a charge...
February 24th 10 10:05 PM
by Theo Markettos Go to last post
3 650
Escalating phone charges by bartc
As anyone else noticed phone charges in general seem to be going through the roof? It started for me in August last year, with a nice friendly email from Virginmobile; hidden in it was the fact that the calls on my PAYG phone were going up from 5p/min to 20p/min, a 300% increase! Looking at other providers, they all had similar tariffs. And now, with my Virgin cable landline, I've just...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 24th 10 09:06 PM
by Woody[_3_] Go to last post
10 909