2 digit telephone numbers

Old September 3rd 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom
198kHz

Default 2 digit telephone numbers

"PCPaul" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date
to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan
Nought'
but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that was a
special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the end
of
the 1960's.

Ah, Hanley Swan - one of my favourites, by the duck pond - very
photogenic.

IIRC it was a UAX13 by the time I joined the GPO in '65, and Malvern
just up the road had gone auto (4000 type) the previous year. The only
manuals remaining in that neck of the woods were Upton-upon-Severn and
Pershore.

Old September 4th 08, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom
Sam Nelson

In article ,
PCPaul writes:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan Nought'
but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that was a
special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the end of
the 1960's.

What is the longest-serving phone number in the country? OK, the above will
be eleven digits long now, but it might still end with that `nought', which
means it's still the same number, really.
--
SAm.
Old September 6th 08, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom
PCPaul

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:36:58 +0100, Sam Nelson wrote:

In article ,
PCPaul writes:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date
to.
(See http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

A girl I went to school with used to have the number 'Hanley Swan
Nought' but since she lived in the old telephone exchange I guess that
was a special case. She would have been just old enough to remember the
end of the 1960's.

What is the longest-serving phone number in the country? OK, the above
will be eleven digits long now, but it might still end with that
`nought', which means it's still the same number, really.

Using that logic I guess it must be at one of the first exchanges, so
where and when was that? Crystal Palace?

Old June 4th 17, 05:32 PM
Pellseinydd Pellseinydd is offline

[quote=PCPaul;73891]On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:36:58 +0100, Sam Nelson wrote:
[color=blue][i]
In article ,
PCPaul writes:[color=green][i]
On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 01:15:32 +0100, Appin wrote:

The message from John Stumbles
contains these words:

Anyone know when 2 digit telephone numbers were used?

I found a reference to my grandfather's shop in Salcombe which had a
phone number of "Salcombe 16" which I'd like to put a (rough) date
to.
(See
http://stumbles.org.uk/Stumbles/)

Up to the mid-1950s on many small exchanges.

They existed on public manual exchanges, the last of which was Portree which went automatic in March 1976. They were also used on small automatic exchanges such as the Unit Automatic eXchange (UAX5) which was very common use the last being converted to a larger one on Jura in 1974.

The very last exchange where they were still dialling two digits to reach each other was that on 'Foula' - a tiny island way out in the Atlantic to the west of the Shetland Islands. It had, until 1995, its own STD code - 0595 - and was so remote that all calls to and from the island were charged at 'trunk call' rate! It was still working after BT had had their 'Last Electro-Mechanical Exchange ' Ceremony on 23rd June 1995. The last three digit numbers also finished earlier that day becoming six digit numbers.

However calls were still clicking away until the evening of 12th July 1995 when 'Foula' exchange went to electronic with six digit numbers and became part of the Lerwick code by then 01595. I was there to witness the 'End of the Era' and recovered the 'Foula' exchange which is now preserved in my collection.
Old June 17th 17, 02:42 PM
Pellseinydd Pellseinydd is offline

Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post

[...]

Whoops just noticed and error ! "It had, until 1995, its own STD code - 0595 - ..." should read "It (Foula exchange) had, until 1995, its own STD code - 0393 3 - ..."