Converting an old dial 'phone

Old April 14th 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom
Steve

Default Converting an old dial 'phone

Hi
The house I live in had the old GPO junction box with a couple of type
746 telephones coming from it. Now I have had a modern BT socket
installed I'd like to take these old 'phones and fit a proper plug onto
them. Each has four wires coming from it, coloured orange (red?),
blue, green and brown. I've just got a telephone plug kit from Maplins
which states that it is for use with standard D profile core cables
only. Can I just crimp this onto the wires and if so, what colour goes
where? Looking at previous posts most indicate that I would have to
strip out all the existing wire. Is that really necessary?
Thanks
Steve

Old April 14th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom
SteBar

Have a look at:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/pstconv1.htm

oups.com...

Old April 15th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom
Jock Mackirdy

In article , SteBar wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

There are 2 crucial statements in the web instructions.

1. You need a 4000 ohm bell. The standard Tele. 746 bell is 1000 ohms (two
500 ohm coils in series) so you need a biggish resistor in series
(assuming you can't find a source of high impedance bell coils). It's
critical because when rewired for a BT socket all the bells/ringers are in
parallel.

Also note the statement re changing the line cord for one with a BT plug
one end and spade terminals the other. There's no way of reusing the
existing line cord. The wires inside are "tinsel" (very fine copper wires
woven with cotton) and will just fan out. The only way to terminate them
is in a crimp. They won't terminate in a BT plug.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old April 15th 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom
Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Jock Mackirdy wrote:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/pstconv1.htm

There are 2 crucial statements in the web instructions.

With due respect, there's an additional statement, which some
would regard as even more crucial:

|Converting an old GPO telephone does not make it approved and
|therefore it cannot be legally connected to any Telecom network in
|the UK.

1. You need a 4000 ohm bell.

You may not "need" a 4000 ohm bell.

The standard Tele. 746 bell is 1000 ohms (two 500 ohm coils in
series) so you need a biggish resistor in series (assuming you can't
find a source of high impedance bell coils).

Just so. The conversion instructions include connection of a 3k3ohm
resistor in series with the 1000 ohm bell, for the reason which you
rightly pointed out; and such a conversion worked perfectly well on
our PABX, and I've heard they work fine on the PSTN too (I suppose
there might be some borderline cases, but it would be easy enough to
try - if the questioner decides to ignore the issue of "approved"
status).

best regards
Old April 15th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom
Martin Sylvester

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
la.ac.uk...
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Jock Mackirdy wrote:
With due respect, there's an additional statement, which some
would regard as even more crucial:

|Converting an old GPO telephone does not make it approved and
|therefore it cannot be legally connected to any Telecom network in
|the UK.

Given that, unless the OP would really enjoy the conversion as a project,
and thinks the cost of parts trivial, they might be better off putting the
phones on eBay for a collector to buy and cherish, and using the money
saved/gained to buy something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46093

Has anyone here bought one of those, btw?

Martin.

--
Can you spare three minutes for Daria? - http://tinyurl.com/48ltd
The campaign to get every episode of Daria released on DVD.

Old April 15th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom
Martin Sylvester

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
la.ac.uk...
With due respect, there's an additional statement, which some
would regard as even more crucial:

|Converting an old GPO telephone does not make it approved and
|therefore it cannot be legally connected to any Telecom network in
|the UK.

Given that, unless the OP would really enjoy the conversion as a project,
and thinks the cost of parts trivial, they might be better off putting the
phones on eBay for a collector to buy and cherish, and using the money
saved/gained to buy something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46093

Has anyone here bought one of those, btw?

Martin.

[Note - corrected message. Faulty one cancelled (messed up attribution).]

Old April 15th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom
JW

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article , SteBar wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

If you kept the old junction box, or acquired a new one
(with screw terminals) from a DIY place, this would be a
simple way to connect new and old cabling, though it doesn't
make the phone quite as portable.
Old April 15th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom
Ivor Jones

"Martin Sylvester"
wrote
in message
"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in
message
la.ac.uk...
With due respect, there's an additional statement,
which some would regard as even more crucial:

Converting an old GPO telephone does not make it
approved and therefore it cannot be legally connected
to any Telecom network in the UK.

Not true. You may not be legally allowed to connect *direct* to BT,
Telewest or whoever, but internal systems and VoIP networks don't have
this restriction.

I have my extensive collection of old phones wired to an internal exchange
which in turn is connected to my VoIP ATA's. The internal exchange handles
the conversion from loop disconnect dial pulses to DTMF, therefore I can
dial out on VoIP using old 706's and 746's..!

Given that, unless the OP would really enjoy the
conversion as a project, and thinks the cost of parts
trivial, they might be better off putting the phones on
eBay for a collector to buy and cherish, and using the
money saved/gained to buy something like this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46093

THAT is an abomination and an insult to an excellent piece of equipment
and telephone history.

Has anyone here bought one of those, btw?

Anyone even *considering* that thing ought to be strung up and/or shot..!

Ivor

Old April 15th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom
Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Owain wrote:

|Converting an old GPO telephone does not make it approved and
|therefore it cannot be legally connected to any Telecom network
in |the UK.

Wouldn't it be covered by grandfather approval?

The opposite, I'd have thought. The conversion kit that I saw, which
was pretty much identical to the recipe shown on that web page, was
back in the approvals era of "green blob" versus "red triangle": the
conversion kit came with the Red Triangle, forbidding connection of
the modified telephone *directly or indirectly* to the public
telephone network, under the rules as they applied at that time.

So, that would seem like "grandfather disapproval" to me!

You are, after all, aiming to connect *modified* equipment to the
line; its approval status *before* modification is something else.

Hope this doesn't seem too pedantic. I'm much more practical in real
life, but you *did* ask ;-)
Old April 16th 06, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom
Solario

Default Converting an old dial 'phone/Use with VoIP

Ivor Jones wrote:

I have my extensive collection of old phones wired to an internal exchange
which in turn is connected to my VoIP ATA's. The internal exchange handles
the conversion from loop disconnect dial pulses to DTMF, therefore I can
dial out on VoIP using old 706's and 746's..!

Is there, available a piece of kit that will convert pulses to DTMF? I
have a GPO 300 type telephone I woud love to use with my UK VoIP
service.

Adrian, http://www.losangelesmetro.net/author/