Cost of 0871 numbers from talktalk

Old May 21st 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom
lesshaste

Default Cost of 0871 numbers from talktalk

Hi,

I am sorry if this is a FAQ... I have a BT line but have switched my
calls to TalkTalk. Now I see that services like telestunt offer cheaper
international calls (and calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start
0871 etc. The prices quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really
understand if I will be paying that price or something much higher
charged by TalkTalk.

Does anyone know how this works?

Cheers,
Raphael
Old May 21st 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom
poster

On 21 May 2004, lesshaste wrote:

I have a BT line but have switched my calls to TalkTalk. Now I see
that services like telestunt offer cheaper international calls (and
calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start 0871 etc. The prices
quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really understand if I will
be paying that price or something much higher charged by TalkTalk.

I looked at the TalkTalk web site, and downloaded the PDF of prices,
dated 01/04/04 but that had no entry for 0871. They show similar fees
for 0870 and 0845 as BT, but I can understand your query over cost of
calls to 0871. I haven't used many dial-through services so cannot
comment on the cost. I am a TalkTalk customer but dial 18866 for
low cost mobile and international calls (need to register for that).
Old May 21st 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andy Pandy

"lesshaste" wrote in message
Hi,

I am sorry if this is a FAQ... I have a BT line but have switched my
calls to TalkTalk. Now I see that services like telestunt offer cheaper
international calls (and calls to UK mobiles) using numbers that start
0871 etc. The prices quoted are all from BT lines but I don't really
understand if I will be paying that price or something much higher
charged by TalkTalk.

Does anyone know how this works?

If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

--
Andy

Old May 21st 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom
David Marshall

In article ,
Andy Pandy wrote:
If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old May 21st 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andy Pandy

"David Marshall" wrote in message
If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll

know
what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even

more
expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

--
Andy

Old May 21st 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom
Rev Adrian Kennard

Andy Pandy wrote:
"David Marshall" wrote in message

If you dial 1280 before the number it'll route the call via BT, so you'll

know

what you'll be paying. Might be worth phoning talktalk to see if they're any
cheaper, although indirect access telcos tend to be about the same or even

more

expensive than BT for 08xx numbers.

TalkTalk have a "guarantee" that they'll never be more expensive than the
equivalent BT tariff... Though whether that extends to 0871...

It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

What a useful guarantee! Not

--
_ Rev. Adrian Kennard, Andrews & Arnold Ltd / AAISP
(_) _| _ . _ _ Broadband, fixed IPs, no min term http://adsl.ms/
Old May 21st 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom
David Marshall

In article ,
Andy Pandy wrote:
It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on BT...

You're right. That's very naughty IMO.

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old May 21st 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom
Andy Pandy

"David Marshall" wrote in message
It doesn't apply to 0845 - TalkTalk are more expensive than BT for 0845. I

think
the "guarantee" applies to all numbers except those which are cheaper on

BT...

You're right. That's very naughty IMO.

In actual fact the only exclusions appear to be 0845, internet and premium
rate....so 0871/0870 should qualify as I don't think they are technically
"premium rate". I can't find the cost of these numbers on their web site though.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...ARTICLE=GUARAN
TEE

--
Andy

Old May 21st 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom
poster

On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:12, "Andy Pandy" wrote:

I can't find the cost of these numbers on their web site though.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?ARTICLE=
MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.SAVINGS&ASSET=PDF displays the document:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/images/UK/TT/UKTTSAVINGSPDF.3.PDF

I went to the link for Talk Plans and last item on the right side
was a heading for "Talktalk Price List". Seemed easy to find.
Old May 22nd 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom
lesshaste

poster wrote:
On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:12, "Andy Pandy" wrote:

I can't find the cost of these numbers on their web site though.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?ARTICLE=
MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.SAVINGS&ASSET=PDF displays the document:
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/images/UK/TT/UKTTSAVINGSPDF.3.PDF

I went to the link for Talk Plans and last item on the right side
was a heading for "Talktalk Price List". Seemed easy to find.

Which entry in that pdf document are you thinking refers to 0871 numbers?

Cheers,
Raphael