red and white bt tent

Old June 7th 10, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom
Mr Ed

Default red and white bt tent

I need one of the old fashioned ones for an art installation - did you
find one of these red and white tents?
Old June 9th 10, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom
MB[_3_]

"Mr Ed" wrote in message
I need one of the old fashioned ones for an art installation - did you
find one of these red and white tents?

A quick search of the web gave a couple of references to them but there
don't seem to be any in red and white.

This company do a range of work tents

http://www.tents4work.co.uk/pop_up_tents.htm

This one supply specific telecom items but again the tents are not red and
white

http://www.telecomsupplyline.ltd.uk/...gue/underg.htm

Old April 28th 17, 12:11 AM
Ed Wills Ed Wills is offline

Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
I need one of the old fashioned ones for an art installation - did you
find one of these red and white tents?
Hello.

Does anyone remember when the GPO first started using these red and white striped tents please? I am building a diorama in 1:76 ('00') scale using some Bachmann Scenecraft figures, and one set has the workmen with a GPO cabinet and the striped tent in the set. I also have a collection of 1950s to 1960s green GPO vehicles that would possibly be appropriate to be seen from 1959 to perhaps 1962 at least. Another company manufactures a card kit for Streatham Telephone Exchange in half relief, so the diorama will be an opening day for a new telephone exchange. I was privileged to be at one of these during my short career with the GPO in the S.E. Area at Duncan (Catford, London) Exchange. I'm guessing that most of my excellent former work colleagues are now long gone? Inside plant workers used the darker shade khaki dust-coats, but would external Tech 1s, Tech 2As, 2Bs wear dark blue coveralls or khaki? I remember the Inspectors wore suits and ties when on site. Thanks in advance for any relevant info. EW