Old October 13th 16, 02:16 PM
Bascule Bascule is offline

Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
British Telecom used to do a wireless 'remote socket' for use with one of their Divese 'dect' cordless phone bases. See http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fat...ess_Socket.pdf for the manual but it is some while since it was about.

It sounds as though you've got a Bakelite phone made by 'AEP' (Automatica Electrica Portuguesa - a subsidiary of Automatic Telephones & Electric Ltd of Liverpool later acquired by Plessey Telecommunications Ltd). The circuit I'm sure you will find is the same as that of the GPO's Telephone No 332 and thus you could modify it to the modern day BT socket system by following the instructions at http://www.britishtelephones.com/t332.htm and scroll down to click on "How to wire your Telephone No. 332 to make it work on Plug and Socket". It should then work OK with the modern system. The leads with BT plug can be found on eBay - search for 'black BT line cord'. About 3 each. Hope that helps? Otherwise let me know.

Ian
0352 2345 Collectors Telephone Network www.ckts.info/192/uk
Many thanks for both your helpful replies - I'll definitely look into both those options. I don't think I need to worry about any re-wiring. When I bought the phone, it had already been fitted with a plug that fits the PHONE skt on an ADSL filter.

One of the reviews for the Maplin item says:

"I found that this didn't work with my BT Diverse phone, because the bell wire isn't passed through. However then I found that if you fit an ASDL filter to the output of the extension unit, it re-generates the ring, and it all works well"

..which sounds good.